Chapter 4
The break bell sounded and the
girls poured out of the classroom. Sharvona raced towards the canteen area with
Megan close behind her.
“I had no idea you were interested
in sports”, Sharvona laughed.
“Well I do have other interests
besides makeup and fashion. In any case you would need someone to play against
and I’d rather it was me”
“Are you afraid that if anyone
else plays tennis with me they’ll become my best friend?” asked Sharvona.
“Well not really, I mean I
wouldn’t be jealous or anything. I’ve been friends with you for ages and if
someone takes over I don’t know how I’ll handle it”, whispered Megan.
Sharvona put her arm through
hers, “stop worrying about it, look let’s put our names down and see when the
practise is”.
“You’ll be a natural at tennis;
you are athletic in any case”.
“I know and also it will
strengthen my arms and legs for ballet, so it has advantages to it”.
They signed their names on a
piece of paper and went to the playground.
“They have their first practise
today after school Sharvona, can you come?”
“I think so, because if it is
from 3.20 to 4.20 then I can go to ballet afterwards… oh no the tap dance
try-outs, I won’t be able to make it”, groaned Sharvona.
“Never mind, I won’t go either
how about we go tomorrow instead”, suggested Megan.
“Yeah I’ll see what I’ve got on;
maybe I have too many commitments?”
“I don’t think so; I think that
at the moment you’re stressed because of the gala, once it is all over you will
be able to relax”.
“Yeah I guess so” Sharvona.
Just then the bell rang for the
end of break and Sharvona and Megan made their way to the gym.
“I wonder what sport we’re
playing?” commented Megan, she was looking at the tennis nets and rackets
scattered around the gym.
“I think we’re probably playing
tennis Meg, so I won’t miss out on a practise after all. If we get changed
quickly then you can partner me”.
5 minutes later the girls were
dressed in green tracksuit bottoms and white polo tops trimmed with green and the
school logo.
“Have you got a spare hairband
Sharvy?”
“Yep, here catch” she called
throwing her a white hairband. Megan tied back her hair and then picked up a
racket.
“Your serve or my serve?” called
Megan.
“Don’t know, we haven’t tossed
for sides yet”
At that moment the gym teacher
walked in. She was a young woman, of 20 with fair hair and brilliant blue eyes.
She wore a peach tracksuit with white trainers and had her hair tied back with
a rose hairband.
“How nice to see you ready early.
You can start practising the backhand serves and the overhead shots” she said
before walking away.
Sharvona and Megan took their
places at the net; Sharvona bounced the tennis ball before giving it a graceful
smack across the net. Megan raced to the backline and smashed it over the
fence. They were an evenly matched pair, Megan was very athletic and Sharvona
had a very graceful style.
“Hey guys you started already?”
called Alice who was coming in with Sarah.
“We were inside in any case, why
don’t you get a racket each and join us?”
Alice and Sarah picked up a
racket and a game of doubles began. Since everyone was playing their hardest
they did not notice the others begin to play in either singles or doubles; and
no one noticed the teacher making notes on an A4 clipboard.
“Hey, I just noticed Miss is
making notes, why?”
“I think it’s for the tournament
against Manor High” said Sharvona, tying up her shoelace which had come undone.
Sharvona was right, for towards the end of the lesson Miss Rose called the
girls over.
“As some of you may be aware
there is a tennis tournament coming up a week before half term. Today I have
been paying special attention to the girls who put their names down to join the
tournament. You all played very well; however I can only enter 10 of you for
the tournament. The girls who have been chosen are: Sharvona, Alice, Megan,
Sarah, Kyla, Sabrina, Saffron, Florence, Esther and Miriam. The others of you
who have not be chosen, don’t despair, your time will come. All of the girls,
who I have called, need to meet here tomorrow after school” she paused and
glanced at the clock. “Right go and get changed, Sharvona when you have
finished I want to talk to you”.
The girls raced off towards the
changing room, Megan ran over and high-fived Sharvona.
“We’re in the tournament!” yelled
Megan cartwheeling around the changing room. The others laughed.
“Hurry up and get changed idiot
or you’ll be late for English” said Sharvona. She changed quickly and then
slung her bag over her shoulder. She pushed open the door and called back over
her shoulder.
“Wait for me Megan”.
No comments:
Post a Comment