Thursday, 26 June 2014

Chapter 2

Chapter 2
“Hi Sharvona, how was your ballet practise?” asked Megan. Megan and Sharvona had been best friends since they were in reception. They even lived on the same road. Sharvona hooked her arm through Megan’s as they walked towards the main building.
“It was really good and my teacher wants me to dance at the Royal Opera house”
“Really, I can’t wait to watch you perform. Just imagine when you are a famous prima ballerina. I’ll be famous just for being your best friend!” squealed Megan.
Sharvona laughed, “This is my first performance and anything could happen”.
“I don’t think so, you’ve done so well in less than 3 years”, assured Megan as they sat down and pulled out their pencil cases.
“What’s’ first lesson?” queried Megan
“Maths”
“Great, just great”.
“Forgotten your book again?”
“Nope, my dog ate it”
“Seriously, Miss will never believe you”
“She’ll be so surprised that I dared to use this excuse, that she won’t say anything” laughed Megan.
The majority of the class had arrived and there was the general commotion of getting seats and finding out what happened on TV. Eventually the door opened and a dark haired lady walked in with a pile of papers.
“There are only a few notices today class, so when you are quiet I will explain what they are”
She cleared her throat; this was the wrong thing to do as everyone else thought they could do the same thing. A curious concert of coughs and clearing of throats took place for around 5 minutes.
“All those who want to be involved in the tennis competition need to meet in the hall at break”, she read once silence had resumed.
The teacher sat down and picked up the second notice, she glanced at it briefly.
“Anyone who is interested in try-outs for tap dance classes please meet in the gym after school”.
The bell rang and the students clattered off to their various classes.
“Come on Sharvona, you’ll be late for Maths. What’s wrong? You look kind of strange”
Sharvona sighed, “I have always wanted to learn tap dancing and now I have a marvellous opportunity. The only problem is the fees, my parents may not be able to afford additional gear…tap shoes are expensive you know”.
Megan thought for a moment and then said “do you know what the prize is for the gala… you know because sometimes they may give let’s say £1000 first prize and all that. If you won first prize then you could buy shoes to last a life time”.
“It is all very well to say that, but as far as I am concerned there are no prizes”.
“You know I completely forgot about your birthday… hmm I wonder what colour goes well with jet black hair?”
Sharvona pushed open the door to Maths “How did we get from dance fees to birthdays?” she laughed.
Miss Jameson rapped her ruler on the table, “class will you please sit down quietly and get out your homework. We will spend the first half and hour going through it. Jenna can you please hand out the folders for me?”
The general confusion to finding homework followed. Sharvona opened her homework folder and took out the two sheets of homework.
“Did you do every question?” asked Megan
“I couldn’t be asked … I’ll just say that I couldn’t understand it”
“That’s a good idea it throws her off your track”
Miss Jameson switched on the projector. “I’ll put the questions on the board and we will go through them one by one. If there are any questions I’ll answer them as we go along”.
“Okay then number 1, we have a nice easy addition sum so I am expecting good answers. Megan can you please tell me how you got your answer to number 1?”
“Miss I didn’t do the homework…I forgot sorry” apologized Megan.
“Diary please – you know what I expect, I’m here every day after school so you can easily come and get help”.
Scowling Megan slammed her diary on the table.
“Less of the attitude please young lady”, warned Miss Jameson.
“Right can someone else give me the answer to the sum of 48 and 50?”
Sharvona put up her hand
“Is it 98?”

“Yes that’s right, maybe you’re getting it after all”.

No comments:

Post a Comment