Chapter 1
Sharvona placed her hand on the barre;
she went through her routine exercises gracefully concentrating on her posture
and precision.
“Hold your arms with a graceful
curve for port de bras” called her teacher.
“Come on, we have gone through this
so many times, the toe must be pointed for the tendu. I want you to go through
the battement de tendu again and let me see that toe point”.
Sharvona took a deep breath and
raised her leg in front of her; gracefully she extended it above her head. Concentrating
on her pointed toe she performed the whole exercise sinking into a deep curtsy
at the end. She looked up to a smattering of applause.
“Well done Sharvona, you can do
it when you really try. Now let’s take a look at your floor exercises, I believe
you still need to improve your pirouettes on the extended leg and then if there
is any time I will check your abesqueres and attitudes”.
Sharvona moved to the centre of
the room and waited in first position with her arms in avant. The music started up and she rose up on
tiptoe. Her movements were graceful and fluid and she seemed to float on the
air as she pirouetted around the room. She carefully extended her right leg and
flicked her chin as she came around before stretching her leg out behind her
and her arms above her head. She launched herself into the air keeping her legs
outstretched. She landed in an attitude with her left leg curved behind her
back.
“Excellent, Sharvona you have
really mastered this now. I am going to tell you a piece of really good news.
The Royal Opera house is holding a gala performance and would like you to do a
solo. I believe this would inspire you and make you work even harder than you
are now”.
Sharvona began to jump up and
down in her excitement. “Could I really do it, could I?”
“Yes you certainly could, for
someone who has only learned quite recently you have made remarkable progress.
I am fully confident that you are able to do this”, smiled Madame Tarknova.
Sharvona walked to the changing
room her mind in a whirl. She had always wanted to dance in public and now she
had a golden opportunity. She was only worried about one thing: what dance was she going to do? She had only
learned very recently but she was determined to make a success of it.
The wind was blowing leaves across
the pavement as Sharvona walked down towards the bus stop. She could hardly
wait to see her mothers’ face when she told her the good news.
“I wondered what I will be
wearing, I really hope that it is a sparkling tutu, I would love to wear one of
those. Maybe even a tiara with little feathers like they wear in Swan Lake”,
mused Sharvona.
“Mum, are you in?” she called racing up the
stairs to their apartment. A slim woman poked her head around the door frame;
her face was pale with circles underneath her eyes. She had a pale peach house
dress on and looked tired.
“Must you really shout I have a
headache Sharvona”, she chided gently.
Sharvona stepped into the flat and hung up her coat. She dumped her
ballet bag on the floor and poured herself some orange juice. She sat at the
kitchen table opposite her mum.
“So, how was the practise today?”
“Good”, replied Sharvona, she
hesitated and then said “My teacher wants me to perform at the Royal Opera
house. They are having a gala evening and I’ll be doing a solo”.
“Really! I’m so proud of you, you
only started recently. We’ll have your name in the papers before too long”.
“Well I don’t know about the
papers, I wasn’t told if the press was going to be there”
Her mum got up from the table and
walked towards the window. She fiddled with the leaves of her plant and did not
speak for a moment. Eventually Sharvona went over to join her.
“Mum? You’re pleased aren’t you?”
“Of course I am … its’ just
that…?”
“Its’ just what?” probed
Sharvona.
She sighed and then hugged
Sharvona.
“I don’t want to worry you. You
just go on that stage and show them that you are a star.”
“I will don’t worry”.
“Now then, I believe you have
some maths homework to do?”
Sharvona groaned loudly, she
hated maths and always skipped her classes if she could. Her mum gave her a
gentle push in the direction of her bedroom.
“Go on with you” laughed her mum.
Sharvona flung herself on her
bed. She lay on her back and stared at the ceiling. She knew she had to get the
homework done otherwise she would be in detention. She really could not afford
to get any more of those.
“Oh well, I guess I had better
get on with this homework”. She picked up her pen and began.
No comments:
Post a Comment